THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


9.29.2010

Weekend update

 How was your weekend? I hope it was restful and enjoyable. Mine was an adventure.

After purchasing the wheelchair-friendly van, Adam, Lynne, Ricardo and I decided to go on a road trip. Our destination: New York City! Award points  would pay for our room at the Hyatt, reservations were made for Top of the Rock, and we would take a ride on the Staten Island ferry. Several days before the trip, however, a situation arose which required an adjustment to the plans. Bethesda was now the hotel destination, and Baltimore the fun day activity location. The Top of the Rock was replaced  by the World Trade Center of Baltimore observation deck, and the Staten Island ferry  was   replaced  by the Spirit of Baltimore lunch cruise (complete with singing waitstaff). My power chair got me around just as well as if  I could walk.

What stands out in my mind, and is a memory I will always cherish, pertains to my friends. Lynne took such incredible care of me; she insisted  on giving me a full shower and did not bat an eye  when helping me in the bathroom. She and Adam took turns feeding me; she, Adam, and Ricardo  all made sure I was able to  drink my various beverages.  On one occasion, Lynne and Adam both had to help me in to and out of the bathroom at Adam's house; one held me up while the other did the pull down, then one held me up while the other managed the paper and the pull up. Adam practically carried me back to my wheelchair. When I was finally situated, we all took a moment to regroup;  I thought to myself how lucky I am to have such incredible friends.

In the last several weeks I've had visits from friends I made from all the different chapters in my life.  I count myself very fortunate indeed.

2 comments:

nursemyra said...

You have a great knack for looking on the bright side

Deb said...

Thanks. To do otherwise would be a dead bore.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter