THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


4.20.2009

To continue

So. The EMG today revealed what I already knew: there is evidence of progression in my legs and spine. Consequently, I am no longer labeled "possible," I am now "probable" and eligible for testing and trials.

I had a very good discussion with my doctor about ceftriaxone, lithium, slow progression, and my options. My doctor sensed my unease and concerns about making a switch, particularly if it resulted in a more rapid progression. We have decided the proper course of action will be this: I will continue with the lithium/rilutek cocktail for the time being. We will monitor my breathing and if (when?) my FVC starts getting closer to 60% (it's currently 90%), I will switch.

I was much relieved after this conversation and decision. I absolutely do want to participate in the ceftriaxone study, but not yet.

I won't deny I'm a little sad. Even though I knew my legs were going to show signs of progression, it's never easy to hear it confirmed.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter