THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


5.18.2009

Stuff

So. Let me bring you up to date on what's been happening.

I got all caught up in planning another whirlwind trip with the kids; it sounded great on paper but the practical application won't work. My initial reaction to this disappointment wasn't a good one, and I'm still trying to work through it, but it will be fine. I go way overboard and sometimes my enthusiasm needs a reality check. But I am still disappointed. Hopefully the trip will still happen, I just don't know when.

Speaking of realities, here are some of the latest:
  • I cannot hold my arms up over my head long enough to wash my hair properly. Only in the last day have I learned this wonderful little trick -- I prop my elbow against the wall as I do when I am stretching; my forearm and hand are then at the proper level for some adequate head scrubbing. I can't manage it for long but that doesn't matter because my hair is short.
  • The steering wheel is becoming more difficult to turn. I'm going to have to figure out a work around here, because I have to be able to drive.
  • Legs: heavy. Walking is still okay (despite the noticeable change in gait), but I am aware of becoming a tad winded. I don't want to focus too much on this because I'm afraid I do, it'll make it worse. I need to be ambulatory. I still have too much I want to do.
  • Speaking is okay, but tonight as I write (translated: as I dictate) this my mouth feels heavy and some of the words feel thick. It's been a long day and I am tired, which probably is the cause. I had an e-mail from the man at the ALS Association who helps with voice banking. I was reading through some of the material -- including some of the suggested phrases to record -- and I suffered yet another reality check. "I need suction," "please wipe my mouth," and others along a similar vein made me look down that awful road. I stopped reading it, I will look at it later.
  • I discovered recently I cannot pull out the knob on the washing machine, and turning on the bedside lamp is on again/off again (hee hee, I am so funny). I'm going to start looking for touch lamps to remedy that issue. I have to figure something out for the washer.
All things considered, I'm still doing great. Isn't it funny--if I didn't have ALS, I would feel pretty awful about what is happening, about where I am. Since I do have ALS, where I am now is a whole lot better than where I could be. It's all about perspective.

I just hope things stay slow.

That's about it for now, folks. I didn't realize it was so late, and I haven't even taken my meds yet. Good night.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter