THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


5.30.2009

Thirty-two minutes

How long has it been since my last run, I wonder. I suppose I could go back and look but methinks it's been about six weeks, give or take. The walrus I've become would suggest longer. Regardless, it's been a longer time than ever I've missed since I started running on June 25, 2000.

I found a new road earlier this week, connecting the Target shopping center to the industrial park where Becky took gymnastics so many years ago. It's close to home, sort of flat and fairly quiet. The detritus I saw on the road this morning indicates there is a fair amount of after-hours activity, but at 6AM it's just me and the birds.

I started out walking but stepped it up to a "wog" at 6:22. Horrified at how difficult each step was but persisted until I got into a rhythm--the slight downhill was helpful. When I encountered an uphill, I walked, but got right back into step when the grade became more friendly. I kept this up for 32 whole minutes. It didn't feel great but it wasn't terrible either. At least it was something.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter