THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


1.25.2010

A gift for Monday

Every morning on my ride into work, and every evening as I go home, I see it; near Seminary Road, the building that is under construction, every floor brightly lit with rows and rows of light. A friend of mine compared it to art and I have to agree. All those lights glowing in the early morning purple sky, in the early evening darkening sky, make me smile every time I see it.

As I was driving home tonight the sky was amazing. To the west there was a layer of fluffy, pillowy, pink and mauve, gorgeous clouds. To the east the sky was remarkably clear, and a dagger of this sky was cutting into the puffiness. Just below, on the horizon, was a small clump of purple and pink clouds, lit from behind by the setting sun and glowing, glowing, glowing. The entire panorama was breathtaking and, just when I thought it couldn't get better, the building appeared. It sits on the west side of the highway so was framed by the beautiful mauve (darkening to gray) puffy clouds. The cranes around the building were silhouetted against the clouds and stood at various angles, looking less like equipment and more like mechanical giants or dinosaurs. And the lights! They looked brighter than ever. It was so beautiful I almost cried.

I am not at all doing justice with my poorly worded description. And I know I must seem like a giant goofball to be so moved by something so silly. One thing I learned a long time ago is that there are gifts everywhere, we just need to be able to see them. Someone else might not feel so passionate about the image I just (inadequately) described, but when I saw this I knew I had been given a gift.

I immediately called my sister to share. What is very funny is that she had just seen a family of deer and was calling her husband to share with him -- she recognized the gift.

Did you receive a gift today?

1 comment:

Wendy Leah said...

Yes, and my gift is your post.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter