THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.10.2008

The Annandale Group

Wendy, Jenny and I went to the Annandale support group today--a first for me and Wendy. I won't deny I was petrified about this. Knowing there were going to be others there, others who have had ALS longer and who are far more affected than I am, scared the you-know-what out of me. Bless Jenny's heart, she'd been to the one here at home so had an inkling and was prepared.

I felt as though I had intruded...like I wasn't supposed to be there. My dumb skeletony hand and a weak arm are all I have to complain about. The others, six men and two other women, have been dealing with ol' Lou for longer. I guess we all have to start somewhere but I was almost embarrassed by my strength. The positive attitudes of the PALS and the CALS at this session, their helpful advice and obvious supportive natures, were remarkable. I will certainly return.

A note about my Jenny, who I have invited to read this and who I hope will post if I can ever figure out how to include her! My Jenny, since the day I told her of this situation, has been nothing but kind, caring, concerned, the most loving of children. She has a heart that glows...such a good daughter.

So. Another step taken. As we were leaving today, one of the PALS (Dick?) said it's day by day. Using my running analogy, I'm going to baby step it up this hill.

1 comment:

Tam said...

I know! Jenny is a superstar. I noticed later in the progression what McGee saw from the start of this journey.
Please note I'm posting this comment in Aug 2011.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter