THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.20.2008

Changes

Thought I'd make a list of some of the things I do differently now.

I do not wear stockings on days I don't get dressed at home. It's impossible to pull up pantyhose anymore unless I have lots of room to manipulate and the locker room at work just isn't big enough. Haha, this gives the impression my ass is too big for the locker room! In fact, it's getting the stockings over my second foot and then up the leg...requires me to be able to sit on a large open surface and the bench in the locker room is too narrow. Just wanted to clarify that! :)

I hold my pen in between my second and third fingers on my right hand. And it has to be a fat pen.

I can't snap or cross my fingers. Little things you never think about until you can't do it.

I eat mostly with my left hand. When I have to use a knife I hold it with my fist instead of my fingers.

I blow my nose using my left hand.

I don't zip my boots up all the way.

I can't open jars anymore. Thank goodness for my neighbor, who gave me this big old y-shaped thing that grips the lids. VERY helpful.

I don't always button all my buttons. Sometimes I ask others to help me.

I make other people open water bottles for me.

I can't clip my nails on my left hand. I've had others help me with that, too. Makes me pretty sad when I have to ask for help with this.

I can't scratch my back with my right hand because reaching back makes my arm spasm.

I have to use scissors to open bags of chips because pulling either makes me spasm or I just can't do it.

Forget opening the inside of a cereal box. I wait for C Claire to do that.

There are other things I now have to do with my left vs. my right, but they are way TMI for this forum! Suffice it to say I realized the other day how naturally I now default to the left in those instances.

That's enough for now. I don't look too forward to growing this list.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter