THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


5.26.2008

Hills

I almost forgot!

I ran yesterday morning, from my SIL's house to "the four lane" via the Woodridge pond and St. Brendan's. It was cold, so cold I wished I'd brought my gloves. I headed out, going down the hill toward the entrance to the development. Along the way I passed the pond and noticed there were several benches. I thought it might be a nice place to stop on the way back.

So, West VA being what it is, I ran up hills and ran down hills in the cold morning air, enjoying the quiet and the sights the four lane had to offer. I headed back and ran into St. Brendan's and the adjacent cemetery, headed out toward the development and up the hill toward the pond. When I got there I decided I would stop so I headed over to the first bench. It was quiet, there were some birds making their little noises, but otherwise it was still. There was mist rising off the pond, and I could see individual streams of mist floating up in the air. Then I realized there was steam coming from ME, too. I had to laugh because, if you remember the "I felt like a deer" story, all I could think was "I am a pond!" I'm such a goof.

So I sat there for a while longer, thinking of ponds and mist and life and all the things we encounter in our lives...for a brief moment I was melancholy but, just like the hills I'd just run, I know there's a down hill after the up hill. And I got up and ran up the hill back to the house.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter