THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


5.12.2008

Recap

Race: Wonderful. I was amazed at how many people showed up. It wasn't the best weather (well, for me it was perfect) as it was overcast, drizzly, and chilly. Ran in a tank and felt great throughout. My pace was casual, I took walks (despite an incredulous look from a friend) and I was surrounded by friends the whole time. Becky, John W, my sister and my cousin, Lynne, Adam and Ricardo, Tam and Cathy and Melanie, and friends from the law firm and D-land. Jeff from IJ, Isaac, Allison S and Allison B, Kendall and Keri, even Tim the FedEx man. And the crew from TIS, without whom the race wouldn't have happened at all. I hope I get some pics so I can post them here. I'm told over $7600 was raised for the benefit of the ALS Association. Thank you and well done to all my kind hearted and generous family, friends and supporters. I love you all.

Balmer: Also wonderful. Our hotel was perfect and we had an upper floor with a nice city view.

Upon arrival the weather turned fabulous and we walked to Federal Hill and shopped (of course we shopped!). Jenny found a cute little dress and flip flops and C Claire found a pair of shorts. We returned to the hotel, cleaned up and got a cab (thank you, Mr. Cabbie, for the reduced fare!!) to the previously mentioned restaurant in Fells Point.

As it happens, the unnamed but much appreciated recommender ALSO picked up the tab for dinner (I'll never be able to adequately repay such a kindness).

Sunday we drove to the pier and met our tugboat connection.

We were the coolest people on the harbor, getting our very own tugboat ride. Becky and Jenny each took a turn at driving, and Jenny managed to do a donut (much to our tugboat friend's discomfort!). Fortunately the Coast Guard wasn't watching! None of us wore our captains hats, so we didn't get to experience the brig. My heartfelt thanks to my dear friend for accommodating this group of landlubbers.


The Orthotic: Got it today. It's big. Ugly. And a very visible reminder that I've moved a little closer to that which I try so hard to face with a smile. My smile wavered today, but Aaron (the orthotics guy) said he'd have none of it, that I was in incredible shape given the length of my diagnosis (compared to others....some, many, of whom are already in wheelchairs). I'm trying hard to be brave, but....I'd thought perhaps the twitching had decreased some since I'd been on the Big L (that's for you, Becky) but it hasn't. Not really. While I write this I feel my shoulders and legs going crazy. When I rest, my arms from shoulder to hand move so much I feel like they'll jump off the desk. HOWEVER. I'm still strong and only have the one dumb weak limb, so I am grateful.

Lots of gratitude floating around this post. Seeing all my friends on Saturday, getting the surprise Saturday night, the tugboat ride Sunday, and spending my weekend with the daughters I love so much, I realize just what a lucky woman I am. And for that I am grateful beyond measure.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter