THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


1.01.2009

2009. Day One

Happy New Year.

New Year's Eve was a lovely, quiet evening. C Claire had been invited to a party, Lynne and I decided to cash in a gift card to a steak and seafood place after I dropped C off. I got all dolled up for my dinner and we left just before nine. The neighborhood where the party was being held was lovely, however, they seem averse to house numbers. After searching in vain for number 15, I pulled into a random driveway to ask what the number was. There I was, decked out in the big lep, hair done, and full on makeup knocking on a stranger's door at 9 PM on New Year's Eve. When the homeowner answered I'm sure he was wondering what the hell I was doing -- looking for a party? He kindly pointed me back up the street where we eventually found the the right house.

Having checked that off the list, I headed into town to meet Lynne for dinner. I love dining later in the evening. It reminds me of Europe and seems so civilized. I had a glass of champagne to start and a very nice Pinot Noir with my steak. Tam joined us for a drink and dessert.

After dinner, we headed over to a friend's to bring in the new year. Lynne's sister was there along with some other people I didn't know. That didn't matter, we all had a small glass of champagne at midnight -- everyone was a friend at that point.

I had to pick up the child from the party so I left not long after. This time I found the house easily! We were home by one o'clock.

I met some friends this morning at 9 AM for a run. After last night's dinner I should have run for six hours, but I stuck to my plan of one hour. I noticed about halfway into my run that my left foot felt funny.

At this point I should probably mention that I've noticed a change in my left foot in the last week or so; when I curl my toes, the second and third toe don't. This is a major change and does not make me happy. Sigh...but it is what it is.

Funny foot notwithstanding I completed my run. The morning was cold, windy, beautiful. Have to grab these gifts while I can!

On another note, I did some cleaning yesterday and came across my first place award from the GW Birthday marathon (I think '05) and the Chanel shopping bag I got when I took Becky to France. These are two key items to be included in my memorial service, so they are prominently displayed in the Serenity Room. I also came upon a nice photograph of Ingrid Bergman which I might frame. That, too, is memorial service related.

I don't mean to be morbid. I hope you understand.

Here's to a better 2008 than I'd expected, and to a wonderful 2009.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter