THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.25.2009

Baby baby steps

Last night, Cecilia and I went to Pratt Park again for a nice 3.3 mile walk. It was warmer than a few days ago but still not humid. The grass field was freshly mowed and I was grateful that I don't suffer from allergies!

Cecilia and I set off -- both with our iPods -- but not staying together. It was my intent to walk as energetically as possible. Paul Butterfield, Eminem, the White Stripes, Madeleine Peyroux, to name a few--all filled my head as I tromped along. My pace was cautious but brisk. I felt fairly strong.

I was about 200 yards away from the end of the third lap when I decided to try to run. My first few steps felt awkward and I almost stopped; determination kicked in, however, and I persevered and finished. My heart was pumping and my breathing was deep. Not like the runs from before, but I'll take it.

I plan to wog the battlefield on Saturday. From the parking area to the end of the road and back is approximately 4.5 miles. It's hilly--rolling hills, like so much of Virginia. I'll run as many downhills as I can.

It's amazing how such a little bit can go such a long way. I am actually encouraged.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter