THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.13.2009

Cheers!

It's 10:15 AM on Saturday morning. I am drinking a nice cold lime-enhanced Corona light. I think I deserve it!

I got up at 7:15 AM and headed to Pratt Park for a "wog." I was determined to do five laps (5.5 miles), walking, running, any way I could. It was horribly humid so I knew would be doing a lot of walking.

I started out walking and felt really great. There was a little bit of a breeze and it was slightly overcast -- all good things. After I had walked a little bit I tested my running legs. So far, so good. The course is part dirt/gravel path and part paved trail. I alternated between them as I alternated walking and running. There was a time when I would have tried to push myself to work a little harder, but today I gently accepted my limitations. Just another adaptation, like so many others.

There were a lot of people out today so I wasn't alone. As I made my way around the course, however, I was struck with a feeling of loneliness. I miss running with my friends. I feel like I've lost touch with them--Lynne most especially. We're still in touch, but there's that element that is borne of long runs and accompanying conversation that is missing.

As I finished my final lap I passed the swing set... and impulsively ran over and went for a little swing. My walr-ass just barely fit, and I had to hold the chains with my elbows, but I did swing for a few minutes. I'm sure I looked like a fool, but I didn't care. I wish I'd had someone to push me!

I got in my 5.5 miles. It took me almost 2 hours. I'm trying not to think about that.

Tomorrow is support group Sunday. It has been some time since I have seen everyone and I'm looking forward to the meeting.

I am attaching today's "Pearls Before Swine" strip because I thought it was hysterical. You'll have to forgive my very odd sense of humor.Hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter