THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.23.2009

More on the race

Since early in the week, thunderstorms threatened the status of the race. At a Tuesday evening powwow there was discussion about backup plans should the weather turn ugly. Saturday morning the weather looked promising -- clouds (some rather heavy looking) came and went. Around midday there was a short rain, followed by sunshine.

At 3 PM, Jennifer and I met Lynne and headed to Colonial Beach. We drove through a few pockets of rain, but nothing that lasted very long. When we arrived at the beach there were some clouds; it wasn't clear which way the weather would go.

Becky and John were already there. We set up some chairs and sat down to enjoy ourselves before the race began in earnest. The longer we stayed, the better the skies looked.

Becky and John played frisbee, Jennifer got in the water (she had never been to a river beach before), Lynne was called by and made calls to the other race organizers. I just sat there enjoying the sun and the people around me.

Close to 6 PM, John, Jenny, and Cecilia got to the beach. At this point the race setup began; volunteers were dispatched; the course was marked; the after race party area was roped off. People -- runners -- began to arrive. Friends appeared from all sides; I was so pleased to see so many.

At 7:30 PM the race started. The weather had improved so much that, if I was still running, I would have bagged this race. It was too hot for my taste.

Lead bikers.

The runners took off and headed up the boardwalk. Kenny, JR, and I walked over to the halfway point to see them do the turnaround. We got there with minutes to spare! Evan, one of the running club's fastest, came barreling through, followed closely (but not too closely) by two others. Becky's John was solidly fourth and close on his heels was Bob. I watched as Isaac, Adam, Ricardo, Holly, Lynne, Kendall, Janice, Nell, Tiffany and others made their way to the turnaround. So that I could be there when the first runners came in, I made my way to the finish line. Becky and Jenny were working the finish, removing chips and handing out ALS bracelets.

In spite of the heat, everyone finished strong. A special kudos to Jennifer McGee Martin who ran and finished her first 10K race. Here is a woman who doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. She sets a goal and claws her way to the finish; she is strength personified.

The after race party was great. Burgers were donated by Cheeseburger in Paradise, Adam's father Jeff donated the beer, there were hotdogs, chips and watermelon, sodas and water. Thank you, Kelly Clark, for providing the music. People stayed and ate, talked, drank, just had a great time. I got to hand out the awards and was pleased that so many of the recipients were my friends!

Lynne, Tam, and Vic, Janice, Nell, and Mark, Cathy, Tom, Heidi and Dave: Thank you. Those words don't even begin to convey the depth of my gratitude.

I hope we can repeat this race in 2010. I hope I am able to be part of it like I was this year.

Mel's son, Ryan, loving life...

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter