THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.07.2010

Cornhole


Becky came up with an idea a few months ago: a cornhole tournament to raise money for the ALS Association. With the help of her fiancé (smile) and their roommate, as well as other friends, they put together a great event this past Saturday. Her roommate's father provided the venue -- a sprawling piece of land near Richmond complete with pool -- and her friends provided a number of cornhole boards.

I don't know how many people were there but it was a great party. I know they emptied the keg (imagine that) because it was floating on top of the melted ice. Becky found some 2 foot long straws at the grocery store and bought them for me; they were perfect for drinking beer AND water because I did not have to lift any bottles. I'm sure all Becky's friend got a real kick out of that.

There was quite a bit of competition during the tournament -- some of those players were unbelievable. I played a few times several years ago but I don't have an arm or a very good aim so my bags slid off the board if they made it at all. One young woman was bemoaning her terrible cornhole ability so I offered to play opposite her to make her feel better. My offer was rejected. Thank heaven.

I got there at 1 PM and did not leave until after 7 PM. It was a hot day that had threatened rain, but the cornhole gods kept any bad weather at bay. Despite the heat (and the late afternoon flies) I stayed outdoors, very much enjoying all the activity.

Becky was very pleased with how much money was raised and with how much fun everyone seemed to have. She did a wonderful job.

(I have purposely avoided any reference to the urban dictionary definition of cornhole, but I did hear from a couple people who wanted to make sure I knew it was not just the name of a game. To be perfectly honest, when I first heard of this game I was scandalized at its name but I've gotten over it. Imagine, me scandalized at anything.)

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter