THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.01.2010

My doctor said 12 months*...

I have taken an accelerated death benefit on some life insurance (I've written about this before). Having been cautioned about the possible tax consequences of taking this benefit, I did some research and found the following on the IRS website, to wit:

Exclusion for terminal illness. Accelerated death benefits are fully excludable if the insured is a terminally ill individual. This is a person who has been certified by a physician as having an illness or physical condition that can reasonably be expected to result in death within 24 months from the date of the certification.

Lovely. One less thing to worry about.

*Remember: My neurologist had to state that I am not expected to live longer than 12 months. I don't have to die quite that soon.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter