THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


6.07.2010

I need a vacation.

The morning started off like all the other mornings since May 17: up early watch the news, have breakfast, etc.

I was expecting Tam later in the day for a visit and to begin my organization project. For some reason I thought she was coming later but she reminded me with her phone call that she was coming over early and was bringing bagels. She arrived just before 10 and made me the best bagel with lox and cream cheese that I've had in a long, long time. A bonus: duck bacon! It was delicious.

After we ate we set to work on one pile of papers I brought back from the office as well as a box that had been in the trunk of my car. A small start but very productive and I was pleased with how much we accomplished.

Not long after Tam left

Ellen Cochran arrived. (Do you like the revolving door?) Ellen gave me a chicken. Yes, a chicken. An adorable, stuffed chicken who clearly has worse hair then mine. It is going to be one of my mascots. We had a nice visit, discussed several of the items on my wish list, and talked about my Social Security disability benefits. The time flew and before we knew it it was past 3:30 PM and she had to run off to another appointment.

As she was leaving

my friend Tiffany arrived, bringing with her a delicious jamocha milkshake from Arby's. (Yes, it's a revolving door theme. Clever, isn't it?) I met Tiffany when I was training for the 2008 New York City Marathon so she did not know me when I was the fastest girl in town (that one is for you, Tam). Tiffany is a natural runner and very speedy but has had some problems with her foot. Barring a couple of exceptions in February, she has not run for a year. She's hopeful she'll be back on the road soon, however, and then everyone better watch out.

We had a very nice visit and then away she went to her appointment.

No one came in the door but Cecilia and I went out so she could practice parking. There were bright spots and there were not so bright spots; the relationship between steering wheel and tire while going in reverse needs to be more closely examined. I wrote her driving instructor and asked that he focus a bit more on this technique.

Jenny arrived when we returned and shuttled Cecilia off to a homework project collaboration.

No one came to the house but I had a 6 PM telephone interview with the company providing my long term disability benefits. Unfortunately, she did not call until 6:30 PM, at which time

Grace arrived to make my dinner and do my hair. Since the interview was estimated to take approximately 30 minutes I rescheduled for the next day. I couldn't ask Grace to wait that long.

Grace left at 8 PM. I settled myself in front of the TV and watched the news and waited for Jenny and Cecilia. It was quiet and very restful.

I'm tuckered out. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter