THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


12.09.2008

Again, thinking too much

Several things I observed this evening; naturally I have to share before I go to bed.

First, when I shower I love the way the water hits the crown of my head. For some reason it's like a "sweet spot" and I can't believe how good it feels. It's soothing -- totally delicious! I could stand there all night, feeling the water hit my head and run through my hair.

Second, I can no longer support my weight on my left wrist. It's been sketchy but tonight my wrist gave out twice. The default support will have to be my elbow, just like on the right side.

And third. The procedure was a huge success. I'm so grateful I can't even describe it. As I've said before, I can't imagine anyone helping me with "that." But it does put me in mind of other things, little things we take for granted but at some point I won't be able to do for myself. Like brushing my teeth. Or shaving my legs. Or washing my hair.

I went to the PLM website today, and noticed several of my co-pals have changed color again. I see orange arms and legs, red arms and legs -- I know what this means. I know they can't do for themselves, and I wonder who does for them. Do they have hired help? Family and friends?

I think about the help I've already received from those of you who love me. You've cut my meat, you've put butter on my rolls, you've helped me dress -- easy stuff, considering. I have to be honest, I shudder to think about the hard stuff. I wonder how we'll handle it. I give you fair warning, I'm very particular about my oral hygiene and my hair. You may want to escape now, while you have the chance!

Thank goodness none of this will be necessary anytime soon.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter