THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


12.13.2008

I'm an idiot

I believe I've overdone it.

My arms hurt, my hands are twitching and spasming, my legs -- specifically, my quads -- are shaky and feel very weak. Very stupidly, I tried to take up tile from my basement floor. It comes off easily enough, however, it's not so easy for me. After only a few minutes, my quads felt like I'd run a marathon. My left arm, which was doing all the work, went into freak out mode and caused my hand to curl in a tight and painful spasm. My right hand and arm tried to contribute to the effort by picking up the tile that had been removed, but no good deed goes unpunished. I am breathing heavily and have an overall sense of fatigue. Sigh.

I find it interesting that this sort of effort leaves me winded. I still can run, albeit slowly, but I don't get nearly as winded as I did just now.

I don't think I mentioned what happened Thursday night. Arriving home in the rain, I made a dash for the front door. I didn't fall but my right leg sort of "gave" and I wobbled a bit. I experienced a similar feeling just a little while ago.

At times like this -- feeling the way I do right now -- I wonder how long I'll be able to enjoy the improvements to this house. I miss my stamina, my endurance, my strength. It's so frustrating and it makes me so mad.

On another note, I'm waiting for a tree expert to come over. As it happens, there seems to be a large root under my basement slab, causing it to crack. It's not dire, but I don't want it to get worse so I've called an expert to give me an estimate on removing the offending tree.

It's always something.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter