THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.09.2010

The promised snow, she has arrived

As I sit here in my serenity room, watching the snow fall on top of the snow from the weekend, three things come to mind. I will share (you knew I would, didn't you?):

1. On the Weather Channel there is a program called When Weather Changed History. Think about it -- does that even make sense? How can weather CHANGE history? Certainly weather can impact events, but it does not change history. Semantics, people.

2. With all of the lovely snow we have gotten, it was only a matter of time before the rude and arrogant made themselves known. Cars with snow caps abound on roads throughout our region, caring little for the consequences their lack of effort might bring. It amazes me that people can be so stupid -- I actually saw a car making its way up 95 toward Washington, completely covered except for one little space on the windshield. Unbelievable.

3. Advertising for the upcoming Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure is in full swing on both radio and TV. Please do not misunderstand me -- I applaud this effort and my heart goes out to anyone who has been touched in any way by breast cancer, but one of the "personal stories" used in this advertising makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I'm talking about the woman who says (I am paraphrasing as I am unable to find text or a soundbite) that she never got to have a say in whether or not she wanted to lose her mother, and now she feels as though she's had a chance to have her say. What does that even mean?

Does that sound too bitchy? I hope not. That's not my intent.

On a weather note, I just received an alert that the federal government is closed again tomorrow. My memory may be faulty, but I do not remember a time when the government was closed for three consecutive days because of weather. It's a very good decision because there are no doubt many rude and arrogant snow cappers being kept off the still sketchy roads leading into our nation's capital.

Okay. My soapbox is beginning to buckle under the weight of all my opinions. Methinks it is time for a nice, refreshing Corona Light.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter