THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.03.2010

News of the day

Yesterday there was a post on PLM advising of yet another death. These days I am a "lurker" but, when I actively posted on the forum, I had some interaction with this patient, a mid-40s woman who had arm onset. In recent months her FRS and FVC had dropped and she had not posted in a while. Consequently, I was saddened to learn of her death but not surprised. It's one of the characteristics of this support website that the names and faces go through cycles. I have only been a member since December 2007, but that is long enough to have observed this phenomenon. What amazes me is the number of people who are still going strong -- living with ALS for 10, 15, even 25 years.

Tomorrow I head to Richmond with my chapter of the ALS Association to meet with state legislators. This is not a visit to plea for money, rather it is to tout the good work of the ALS Association and to ask that the state partner with that chapter to continue providing support for ALS patients in Virginia. It should be an interesting morning.

This morning, as I was attempting to back into the handicapped spot in the garage, my gearshift refused to cooperate. This is not unusual -- it occasionally takes a couple tries before it's firmly in reverse. Anyway, as I was trying to get the car securely in gear I heard a horn honk at me which served to make me equal parts embarrassed, frustrated, and irritated. Finally successful, I backed into the space, stopping midway to mouth my apologies to the horn honker. Just as with the arm waver from last week, I was prepared to deliver a rant should I happen to meet the driver in the elevator. Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from the catering manager at the hotel next door to the office apologizing for her seemingly aggressive honk which was intended (she said) to alert me that I had plenty of room to back up. She said she was embarrassed when I stopped the car to apologize and she realized it was me. I thought it was very nice of her to write, and I responded in kind. No harm, no foul.

Now for some levity. I present to you a series of e-mails from this morning:

I wrote: Our brand-new doorstop, purchased only yesterday, has gone missing after only one day of duty. When last seen it was holding open the door that leads into the GFC. It is to be hoped that, since the doorstop does not have feet, it has not traveled too far. If you have seen the missing doorstop or have any intel as to its whereabouts, please call the doorstop hotline on extension 4478. For your protection, all calls will remain anonymous.

Thank you for your assistance in facilitating the safe return of the newest member of our supply room inventory.

One response I received was: Doorstops, you just can't trust them these days. They do what they want, when they want. I bet $10.00 it's hanging out at the local hardware store with all its other doorstop thug friends discussing what door they're going to "hold-up" next.

Followed by: I can't say for certain but I think I saw that very same doorstop stopping on N Glebe Rd. holding a sign that said will stop door for food............ It was low to the ground which made it difficult to see so I can't say for certain.......

I did receive an anonymous tip which prompted me to make a phone call, which resulted in the safe return of our missing doorstop, to wit:

All,

I am pleased to report that the doorstop has been returned. Recognizing that we are a force to be reckoned with, the kidnappers came forward quickly. Thanks to all who provided tips; your commitment to Truth, Justice, and the American Way is noted.

Anyone wishing to welcome the doorstop may stop by my desk at any time.

Very silly. I hope others were as amused as I was.

Time to grab some beauty sleep. Big day tomorrow.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter