THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


4.28.2010

T - 17

I met one of my female coworkers on my way to the restroom today. She was going there, too. I took my very specially designed key and unlocked the door, used my right shoulder and arm to push the door open when all of a sudden the door pushed further than I had expected and I started to lose my balance. My coworker, trying to help, had pushed the door from behind me not knowing that even this small bit of assistance could land me on the floor. Fortunately I was able to catch myself, but not before I exclaimed, "Don't do that!" Poor girl, she apologized over and over -- she had no way of knowing and I do not fault her at all. Next time, however, I will follow, not lead.

It's official. Last day will be May 15. Coincidentally, my first day with the company was May 14, 2007. This is a milestone I thought would occur much later, but here it is. I guess my old boss was right -- I'm a quitter. You know I'm sitting here laughing, right? Anyway, I plan to leave quietly without any fuss; I do not relish saying goodbye to my coworkers. I would only cry and make everyone uncomfortable and nobody wants THAT. I'll write them a nice letter instead.

I gave Mike the three-week warning today when I went to PT. He noticed that I canceled several appointments so sort of guessed why. He would not let me talk about it, but conversation always came back to the date, the logistics, etc. It is not practical to drive up from Fredericksburg to Arlington and I am really going to miss him. He is one incredible physical therapist...and then some.

There is much I want to say about the relationships which are going to be a casualty of my "condition," but I'm pretty tired so it will have to wait. For now, let me say some of them won't be too painful but others are going to hurt like hell.

G'night.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter