THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.25.2010

Vocabulary

Definitions of ASPIRATION

1.  audible breath that accompanies or comprises a speech sound
2.  a strong desire to achieve something high or great
3.  the taking of foreign matter into the lungs with the respiratory current

Definitions 1 and 2 do not apply to today's post, definition 3 is our focus.

Blah blah blah excess saliva, blah blah blah amitriptyline, blah blah blah dry mouth. I woke up at 4:45 AM because I heard John getting ready to go to bed.  My mouth was so dry I called (more like croaked) and asked if he would help me take a sip of the drink on the table next to me. The first swallow went down easily but the second did not; a pocket of air disturbed the flow and I coughed, then started to choke. I could feel the liquid as I inhaled it -- a stinging, burning sensation -- and I panicked as I struggled to breathe. I  sat forward, which helped, and soon I was taking sufficient breaths and the panic subsided.

The liquid eventually worked itself out and I was able to take a few nice, deep breaths and then went back to sleep. Everything is fine this morning but I am aware of the tiniest remnant of pain in my lung, reminiscent of when I had pleurisy in my late 20s.

Very scary, this aspiration shit. My new aspiration is to avoid it.

++++++++++++++++++++

 (I can't help it. The word screams for a modified spelling and definition.

Definition of ASSPIRATION

1.  Enema

Forgive me.)

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter