THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.14.2010

Warning: laughing may be hazardous to your health.

Twice today I laughed so hard I lost my balance. The first time (in the living room), John and Becky caught me as I teetered and got me safely to a chair. Later in the afternoon (on the front porch) they tried their best to contain me but were not successful; they did, however, manage to soften the fall.

Each time I walk -- on my own or supported by caregivers or walkers -- I'm amazed that I CAN walk considering how weak my legs are. If I start laughing, the strength leaves my legs and moves up to my lungs to support bulbary immoderate laughter, laughter which is the result of some unintentionally (but wickedly) funny observation about my ability to ambulate. We try very hard to observe a no talking rule when I am on my feet but it doesn't always work.

I suppose sometime in the not too distant future I won't be walking at all and losing my balance won't be an issue. I hope the jokes are as funny.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter