THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.25.2009

Buttons

What? No guesses about tomorrow's raised arm measurement? I told Mike I was shooting for a 153. Probably a little ambitious.

A special thanks to Kendall and Cecilia; they were both great help today. I wore a suit, the jacket of which has many buttons. Kendall buttoned me up after our workout (translated: 20 minutes on the elliptical and 5 minutes stretching my arm) this morning, Cecilia unbuttoned me this evening.

This puts me in mind of something that happened this past weekend. I have a pair of casual cotton pants -- the last pair of pants I have with a button and zipper. I had a difficult time buttoning them on Saturday -- I got them buttoned, but only just. Recognizing there would be difficulty if I had to use the restroom during our dinner out, I changed back into one of my pairs of "easy" pants. I joked about retiring the cotton pair, saying I would consign them to a watery death in the ocean. We all laughed about finding the pants washed up on the sand or hanging from one of the fences protecting the dunes. Sunday morning, however, I packed them. I'm not ready to retire this pair just yet. I might not wear them, but I'll still have them.

Just to clarify: the buttoning process is more difficult because my left hand is getting weaker. So is the right, so, even when working together, it's not enough.

I think it may be time to upload some new pictures. I'll see if I can get my resident photographer involved, if I can get her away from taking pictures of the bird and the cat. These won't be fun pictures, they'll be a visual record of what's happening.

Maryland plays Duke in five minutes. Hope it's a better game than last time.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter