THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.08.2009

Perspective

Sunday night. The Wizards won in overtime, the Terps are ahead at the half. So far, so good.

There was a 4 mile race this morning. Lynne and several of my other friends were running, so I went to support and to provide Lynne with a much-needed refreshment afterward. It was strange not running. At the last race -- the half marathon -- I didn't race, but I still ran while the others were gone. Today I saw everyone start, I saw them just before the 1 mile mark, and I saw them as they climbed the hill from hell on their way to the finish. Between the 1 mile mark and the finish, I walked to my car, took my meds, and just sat for a minute. It was a new experience, that's for sure.

Despite the difficult course, Lynne broke 34 minutes. She is a very strong runner. That's why I made the decision and announcement yesterday that I wouldn't be running with the team anymore -- at least not on Saturdays. I appreciate that Lynne runs back for me, but she's not getting the benefit of a good, solid run with people who will push her. For a time I thought it might work, but the slower I get the more difficult it is. I'm being selfish to stay with this group. This is just one more thing I'm giving away.

I've mentioned before how difficult it is to open my mail. Today I caught up on some mail that had been piling up, and even now, several hours after I finished, my hands and arms are tired. I'm going to have to delegate letter opening in the future.

I hate ALS. There better be a good reason for this.

Blah blah blah. All things considered, life is fabulous. After the race today, I looked up in the sky and saw the clouds and blue and thought how wonderful it would be to be up in the air, soaring, looking down at the ground from up above -- how exhilarating, how liberating, how wonderful. There are so many thing to be grateful for, I don't have any right to complain.

Sweet dreams and all my love.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter