THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.02.2009

Correction

Muscle Rigidity

Continuous involuntary sustained muscle contraction which is often a manifestation of BASAL GANGLIA DISEASES. When an affected muscle is passively stretched, the degree of resistance remains constant regardless of the rate at which the muscle is stretched. This feature helps to distinguish rigidity from MUSCLE SPASTICITY. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p73)

Definition

Muscle rigidity is a state of continuous firm, tense muscles with marked resistance to passive movement.

Alternative Names

Muscular rigidity, rigidity, rigor.

Synopsis

Muscle rigidity is an alteration of muscle tone in which the muscles are in an involuntary state of continual tension. Muscle rigidity can be a manifestation of neurological damage (basal ganglia diseases) or a side effect of certain medications. Muscle rigidity is the continuous, tonic contraction of the skeletal muscles, often more marked in the flexor muscles than extensors.

During conversation with Mike today, I discovered I had used the wrong term to describe what's going on with my shoulder. It is in fact rigidity, not spasticity. I experience spasticity in my forearms and hands. My apologies for the error.

Diligent adherence to my homework schedule resulted in an improved internal (bending my arm down), but the external (bending my arm up) still sucks. And no matter which way I move my arm, the idiot thing hurts like crazy.

Stupid, painful arm notwithstanding, I can still move it some. Pretty good record, don't you think?

Tomorrow is Hill visiting day. Don't have a clue as to the schedule, but it doesn't really matter. I'm there regardless.

Homework calls.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter