THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


2.01.2009

February 09 -- my blog is one year old

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I was home alone this morning, everyone having gone to Richmond last night for a concert. I encountered a difficulty when I tried to feed Lydia. The only food in the house was canned; the small cans with a pop top. My first two attempts were miserable failures, so I had to put on my thinking cap. Sliding a table knife under the pop top ring, I pried the ring up so that the can was just open. My right hand is unable to pull the top completely off, and unable to hold the can if I tried to use my left. So I took a long wooden spoon and slid it through the ring and, holding the can with my left hand, I pushed down on the spoon as with a lever, and off came the top. I was quite pleased with myself, and the kitty was happy to be fed.

I made a flank steak for dinner tonight and used part of it to make soft tacos. I was really pleased that I was able to cut the steak into thin, small slices all by myself. I had to use a really small knife, which I held in a very convoluted fashion -- but it worked.

After dinner, I discovered I am no longer able to scoop ice cream unless I let it sit and get soft. I like soft ice cream anyway, so no worries.

On a different subject: I did not run today. I had a bit of a headache (no doubt the result of last night's outing with the girls) and I was tired. But it was a beautiful day out so I determined I would walk while the others ran. Lynne was also feeling a little tired so she walked with me. We did a little over four -- possibly closer to five -- miles. The best part was her company. This last year I have missed her company during our runs. I have posted before that I run behind while the others run their pace, so I don't really run "with" them so much as behind them, and there is little, if any, deep conversation. So today's walk and talk was a gift.

It's now 8:20 PM and I'm going to get ready for bed. And do my homework. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter