THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


5.27.2010

Pin pointing

A year ago I could still run (sort of) and I could definitely walk. I could shower by myself and cook and do laundry and manipulate papers and raise my arms over my head and so on and so forth. Yes, I was slower and had difficulty, but I managed.

The change that occurred in the ensuing year was gradual but significant. I wish I could pinpoint when each activity demanded a little adjustment but I can't.

I was also able to feed myself. Nowadays, I am able to feed myself with my left hand IF I use my special fork (similar to the one at the bottom of this picture) or a serving spoon with blue foam tubing around the handle. I receive assistance on occasion with things like soup and salad. Holding the utensil is not the only challenge; lifting the utensil to my mouth is also problematic. There are a couple of workarounds: I lower my head to meet the fork/spoon or I support my left elbow on the table to elevate my hand. These adaptations work -- for now.

I guess this post is to pinpoint an adjustment because, as I was eating my breakfast this morning, I looked down the road to when I won't be able to do that activity anymore.

Maybe I will lose some weight and then I will just be ALS Bowbie.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter