THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.22.2010

A new addition

Comfort Keepers. On my insurance company's "approved" list. Caregivers are trained to deal with patients suffering from a variety of maladies, including ALS. My needs were assessed today; the resulting plan of care is most comprehensive. Starting Monday one of their aides will come to my house each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I will add Tuesday and Thursday once Rose's schedule is more consistent. I'm also hopeful that Rose can arrange to be hired by them so I can have her every day.

Everyone is happy about this new arrangement. I'm looking forward to having a shower EVERY DAY and having range of motion exercises EVERY DAY and having someone on hand EVERY DAY to help me organize my mess.

It's hard to believe there was a time when I was reluctant to have anyone come in and help. My reluctance was borne of my inability to admit that Louise had penetrated through my denial barriers. I didn't need help, I was fine -- my daughters provided all the assistance I needed. Selfish, stupid, ridiculous me; my stubbornness was taking its toll on my girls. I might not need help... but they did. Everyone has benefited from Rose's presence; the benefits will be multiplied with the addition of another caregiver.

I'll say it again: thank goodness I took out long-term care insurance.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter