THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


4.04.2008

BananaMan

I am BananaMan to Beck, the wickistick PF Chang's lunch buddy son of my dear friend, Allison. He and his brother and mother came to have lunch with me today. Allison and I have been friends for EONS it seems, hard to believe given her oh-so-young age. My kids used to think it was odd I had a friend who was so much younger than me. She and I ran my first marathon together. She's something special.

Her baby, sweet cuddly little Ben, is irresistible. Allison was holding him during a little fuss and he was so squishy and soft and adorable and I couldn't stand it--I had to hold him. I never even thought twice when she handed him to me. I managed okay, it's mostly the arm that does the work when I'm holding things, but after a few minutes I realized I was tired. My idiot stupid arm couldn't even hold a three-month old baby. It broke my heart.

On the bright side, I did get to hold the little squish, and I stole a hug from Beck. And I'll hold Ben in my lap the next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BananaMan's mom here...

What happened at lunch broke my heart too. This is just one incident - among many that I'll never know about - that illustrates how ALS is hurting my good friend Debbie. I hate this disease and I can't stand the fact that it has struck such a wonderful person.

Debbie, I hope you know that you can hold my boys anytime you want to. If you need me to support your arm, I'll be right there. And if you need anything else - I'll be right there. You're not in this alone.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter