THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.11.2009

Clinique

So. Did you read all that stuff about ceftriaxone? I won't even pretend to understand the science, all I know is that my neurologist seems to think it has enough clinical data supporting it that she is not averse to the study or my inclusion in it. Provided, however, I prove I am eligible. How will I do that? Well, the first step is to undergo another dreadful EMG. As I said before I only present two of four indicators, I need to present three. Another EMG will be done to see if I have any lower motor neuron issues. If I don't, I will not be part of the study. Which is fine because it means I'm not sick enough.

Clinic was fabulous. My FRS is 42, my FVC is 90%, and the "squeeze test" indicated no change in my left hand and the expected additional weakening in the right. Once again, I dazzled my speech therapist with my fancy facework, she was impressed with my water drinking ability. My lovely OT and PT ladies were pleased to see that I was virtually unchanged from December. The dietitian was pleased with my weight (even though I am not, but whatever). I have decided to try to work on accepting this newer, expanded version of myself. I will refer to it as "fattitude" and I will use it to battle stupid Louise. So there.

Because I am a slowpoke I don't need to go back for four months. The usual return is three, so I am gratified. All this is dependent, however, on whether or not I am included in the study.

Fun, fun, fun. If I am included in the study, it will present a whole new set of challenges. It will require an IV catheter in my neck which will exit from my chest, as well as twice-daily injections of what may or may not be the ceftriaxone. As I lack both the stomach (despite the fattitude) and the dexterity to self-inject, this will be a bit of a hurdle. I will deal with it and make it work, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.

Right now I am going to finish my flying dog classic pale ale. Cheers.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter