THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.15.2009

The weekend

Cecilia and I were having dinner on Friday night before going to a Wizards game. Our conversation was comfortable if unexceptional, when she suddenly stated that it had just hit her that I have an incurable disease. Her voice changed and she had tears in her eyes. She told me she loved me.

Now, this is not the first time she's displayed an elevated level of upset, but this is the first time in a long time and it was very low key compared to what came before. I looked at her and reminded her that I am very lucky to be very slow, that we should not look too far ahead but should enjoy where we are now. It must have stayed in her mind, however, for her to have posted what she did on Facebook.

We have our wonderful spring break trip ahead of us, and we are both looking forward to that.

Saturday I met the team, despite my protestations. Lynne refuses to let me be separate and I don't have the energy to argue. I did send them on their way without me, as I had decided to accept the fact that walking was best. I hadn't considered that I wouldn't be able to zip up my jacket, which I never would have worn to run, and I had to knock on the door of the still-closed Hyperion to ask for help. This, like asking for help with the gas cap, slightly unnerves me because people look at me questioningly since I don't appear to have an issue. But the young man was kind and helped with a smile, and away I went. I walked, and thought about something Cecilia said on our drive home. She called me "runner mom," and I laughed and said I wasn't much of a runner anymore. She told me I'd always be runner mom. Remembering this, I decided to give it a shot. And I ran, slowly, easily, wonderfully. As I said later to a friend, I go back and forth so much with this, but the run yesterday morning was restorative and reassuring. I guess I am still runner mom.

Hoops: Even though Maryland didn't beat Duke, their wins over NC State and Wake earned them a spot in the NCAA tournament. Nice!

1 comment:

Scott Crawford said...

Glad to see that one of us is running at the moment. If it feels good, keep at it and enjoy it!

It's come to my attention that my left calf is actually physically swollen, bigger than the right one (not hideously so or anything, but it's visible), now that I've rested off what I thought were splints (and might still be) and the injuries I had when I fell at the end of January. Making a doctor's appointment as soon as my health insurance is re-sorted out (within the next week-ish, ideally). So, at least it's not me being a big baby entirely. There's visual evidence.

Be well,
-S

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter