THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.27.2009

Quotables

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease. (Buddha)
Is this so? Did I bring this on myself?

Can I change it?

------------------
The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
I like these.

------------------

You can see I came away from the meditation session just bubbling with Buddha-isms.

I have to confess I was a little sketchy at first. To be told to relax, close my eyes, and meditate when I have never meditated (at least not consciously) made me a little nervous. Add to it that we were supposed to do this for 30 minutes -- how the hell was I going to sit still for 30 minutes? Amazingly, I managed to relax and give in to it. When the 30 minutes was up, I was surprised at how quickly the time flew. I actually felt the energy in my body; my mind was full of blue; my breaths were minimal but sufficient. It really was a unique experience.

Jonathan, the session leader, has a soothing voice and a very gentle way about him. Much of what he imparted are conclusions I've reached on my own, particularly as it relates to managing challenges and existing in the world. I wouldn't say I am necessarily enlightened, but I feel that I have an awareness of where I am in this space I occupy.

The entire evening was time well spent. I don't know if I can manage every Thursday, because it's a very late night, but I'll go when I can.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter