THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.08.2009

Man with motor neurone disease suffocated by wife, court told

A woman tried to suffocate her husband because she could no longer cope with him suffering from motor neurone disease, a court heard.


By Murray Wardrop
Published: 9:05PM BST 07 Jul 2009

Gary Roffey, 37, pleaded for his life as his wife, Tracey, tried to murder him by placing a pillow over his face at their home, jurors were told.
Initially, the father of three thought his attacker was a burglar but, realising it was his wife he allegedly begged her to stop, saying: "I love you, I love the kids – what are you doing?"
Chelmsford Crown Court was told that although Mr Roffey's health had severely deteriorated due to the disease, the couple had never discussed him ending his life.
It is alleged that when Mrs Roffey, 37, realised the pillow was not working, she put a plastic bag over his head crying "I love you, I don't want to do this" and "I cannot live like this any more".

The court heard that the alleged attack took place as the couple's three-year-old son sat waiting in their car outside the family home in home in Church Langley, near Harlow, Essex.
Prosecutor Richard Kelly said the incident in November last year happened shortly after the couple's sex life had broken down.
He added: "He paid for her to go on holiday to Spain believing she had recently fallen out of love with him.
"When she returned she announced they would no longer be having a sexual relationship and she would be coming off the pill.
"Also, lurking in the background was a potential financial background.
"They believed she would receive £350,000 insurance if he died but, it would, in fact have been just short of £200,000."

Jurors heard that Mr Roffey was employed as an IT worker in the City before being diagnosed with MND in May 2006.
By November 2008, his condition had worsened and his wife of 15 years required the help of three carers to look after him.
It is alleged that on November 4, Mrs Roffey dropped their daughters, aged 10 and 14, off at school before returning and attacking her husband as he slept.
Describing his ordeal, Mr Roffey said: "I was half asleep. I thought it was a burglar. A pillow was forced over my face and she was crying 'I cannot live like this any more'.
"I was saying 'I love you, I love the kids – what are you doing? You'll go to prison'.
"She tried to stop me breathing then dropped the pillow and put a Next bag over my head to kill me. I felt myself drifting away."
He added that as he lost consciousness, he thought to himself: "What a way to go."

Mr Kelly said that Mr Roffey was found by his carers shortly afterwards and was rushed to hospital, but discharged later that day.
He added: "Nobody would try to minimise the effect of the disease on a partner. There had been no discussion about euthanasia."
Mrs Roffey denies a charge of attempted murder.

The trial continues.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5770481/Man-with-motor-neurone-disease-suffocated-by-wife-court-told.html

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter