THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.06.2009

Monday Musings

I came home tonight and did my usual site scan, which includes PLM. Two more PALS are gone. I am not inured to this, but I am weary of feeling upset about it. I hope I do not sound unfeeling.

Conversations at work today were often recaps of our weekend. I shared my experience at the game, including my disappointment at missing the Lou Gehrig speech. Several of the kids were unaware it had been 70 years since that speech was originally delivered. A couple times I was asked about strides that had been made, and I said that no progress had been made toward a cure...you cannot cure something if you don't know how it starts. I explained how even the one drug the FDA has approved isn't good for more than giving someone an extra couple of months.

All the death and inertness notwithstanding, somehow I have not fallen prey to a pity party. I know my fate--remember, we all die.

I do find myself wondering about my breathing. Most PALS die of respiratory insufficiency (is that the same as suffocation?). I get out three to four times a week now for a brisk walk or wog. Will it help? That's anybody's guess. But this old lady is gonna go out with guns blazing.

You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile.

— CS Lewis

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter