THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.16.2009

Like molasses

Came home from my walk this morning (2.2 unexceptional and slow miles). Looked at the clock and was happy to see I had time for a quick bowl of cereal before the "no food" zone (two hours before, one hour after, as dictated by the side of my Rilutek bottle). Ha ha, I said quick. There is no such thing as a quick bowl of cereal or a quick shower or a quick anything anymore.

To wit:

Raising my arm and hand to cupboard level: slow and a little painful.
Opening the cupboard door: Still doable, but requires patience and some finesse; i.e., one must place one's fingers at the exact right place on the corner of the cupboard and hope there is enough strength to pull the door open.
Retrieving the cereal: Another reach, left hand/arm only, some pain. Can't use fingers to grasp the box so another move is required, sort of sliding the box toward me. Two hands are needed to get the box out of the cupboard, one on each side.
Opening the box: Fairly simple IF THE BOX HAS ALREADY BEEN OPENED. If not, the quest is abandoned.
Pouring: Having made sure the inner packaging is open, the box is then secured against one's right side, held in place with the arm and elbow. The left-hand guides the cereal from box to bowl.
Restoring the box to the cupboard: Not overly difficult, except for the reaching up.

Fortunately, getting the milk from the refrigerator and pouring it on the cereal are not yet troublesome tasks. Getting the right sized spoon is slightly troublesome as it requires the use of fingers.

Eating, as has been noted before, is completely a left-handed function these days. Using a nice large spoon enables one to have a fairly pleasant cereal eating experience.

So, as you can see, even making oneself a bowl of cereal can be a tedious, not very quick process. It's like that with dressing, makeup, even getting myself situated in my car prior to driving. Everything just takes so damn long and is such an effort. You would laugh you could see me putting on my socks and shoes before I go for a walk. Those hooky things I've shown you before are truly lifesavers. I don't use them for pants any longer, but they are fabulous for pulling up socks and putting on running shoes. If I can convince Cecilia to take a picture, I'll show you how wonderful they are.

Okay, breakfast is over and it's time for a quick shower. Ha ha, I crack myself up!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter