THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.21.2009

Wisdom

She's at it again, my dear Cecilia.

Did I ever share the story of what she said during my cleaning-the-counter temper tantrum? I was furiously (temper-wise, not speed-wise) wiping crumbs off the kitchen counter and growling about how I couldn't live with the mess, and maybe I should go live somewhere else. (Oh yes, I am a joy to be around.) Cecilia, upset by my childish behavior, said "Mom, you have ALS and it's a bad economy. You have nowhere to go." She stopped me in my tracks, and I immediately saw what an idiot I was being.

She truly keeps me grounded, and in stitches.

As some of you know, I am having serious self image issues. The lack of running, combined with enjoyment of food and the ravages of age, makes me feel ungainly, flabby, and very land m-assy. My darling Cecilia was helping me take off my shirt last night; I warned her to be prepared for the unsightly flesh she was about to uncover. She said in her very matter-of-fact way, "Why don't you like your body, Mom? It still works."

More grounding. These nuggets of wisdom are delivered by one who cuts right to the chase. She does not permit me to wallow, that's for sure. I am so blessed to have this delightful young woman in my life.

1 comment:

Mykljak said...

You are a goddess, and don't you forget it.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter