THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.23.2009

Me again

Almost forgot.

One of the women I know in the running club -- not a friend, exactly, more of an acquaintance -- recently lost her father. He had had throat cancer (and pharyngeal surgery), then had a stroke which left him unable to walk or use his hands or speak. He had had a feeding tube inserted but decided to forgo any nourishment. A psychiatrist met with him and concluded he was mentally competent to make this decision. According to this woman, her father did not want to be a burden or an inconvenience to his family so chose to die.

I don't know why it bothers me that he made this decision. I totally agree with the logic, I just feel it happened too fast. Maybe because his disability was thrust upon him practically overnight; he didn't have time to digest (no pun intended) and adapt to his "new normal." I don't know.

Anyway. I can't imagine doing that myself, at least the person I am today can't imagine that.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter