THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.14.2009

Not exactly a fall, but...

My right hip abductor still hurts from cramping. What is more bothersome is the tumble itself.

Maybe tumble isn't the right word. I was distributing parking passes and access keys to a couple of employees who are moving into our suite next month. I started to turn to my right (from a standing position). As I was turning, I could feel my balance turning into imbalance or unbalance or off-balance -- however you term it, I was losing my balance. As if in slow motion I saw myself falling backwards as I was doing it. Luckily, the walrass is large and absorbed some of the shock. So there I was, on my back behind my desk, all the while being watched by my coworkers. Bless Suzanne's heart; she tried to help me up, as did Sara from the other side. Louise would have none of that. It was best for me to try to roll onto my knees, which I tried to do several times. The first time my right hip cramped so badly I couldn't move. I rested for a moment until the spasm passed, then slowly, and using my left elbow and shoulder, managed to roll onto my knees. Finally I was able to get up.

The last several days I've been feeling pretty positive that I'm still doing so well considering I am 22 months post diagnosis. Episodes like this, however, shake me up a little bit.

1 comment:

Mykljak said...

Oh, Deb. This is not what people mean when they talk about "the rock 'n' roll lifestyle." Bless your heart.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter