I'm going to make a list of things that are good about ALS.
- Fingernails. When one does not use one's hands for very much, one's fingernails began to grow. When I was younger I always wished for pretty nails. Be careful what you wish for.
- Perspective. While I think I have always been a fairly positive person, and have had a good appreciation for the everyday gifts we are all given, I believe I am more positive and more appreciative now. A ticking clock -- no matter how slowly it ticks -- makes a big difference.
- PALS. I've met some incredible people. Courage, beauty, wit; these are some of the words that describe my comrades in ALS arms.
- Weight. I now have a decent excuse for being heavy. As Dr. Kwan says, "fat is good for ALS."
- Weight again. At some point I expect eating to become difficult. At this point I may begin to lose weight. I have always wished to be a smaller girl than I am, and this may be how I achieve that goal. Again, be careful what you wish for.