THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


9.14.2008

Good Sunday

Today was support group day. A young woman attended whose brother was recently diagnosed. She arrived in tears and cried several times during the meeting, especially when a couple of the guys were sharing feeding tube stories. I confess to feeling a bit queasy myself, but I looked at her and was flooded with sympathy and empathy--I remembered my first meeting and how I felt when faced with a possible picture of my future. This young woman clearly cares so much for her brother--she's frustrated with her seeming inability to help him, angry with this turn of events in all their lives, but brave and wants to know all she can. Bless her heart. I told her to call me and to give my contact info to her brother. He's arm onset, too, and maybe talking to me can be of some help.

Ellen brought a bag of giveaways today! I got a fat-handled fork WHICH HAS A BENDABLE HEAD! (It turns out the spoon I got some time ago also has a bendable head.) I also picked up a hand strap that has a strip which will accommodate a spoon or fork, very convenient for outside home. All my new devices prompted me to think of a workaround for my car key--and you'll think I am just the most incredible genius when I tell you! I took two allen wrenches and put them in some of the foam tubing, then put them through the key and covered the end with another piece of tubing. It acts like a lever and allows for easy turning! I'll post a picture at some point so everyone can oooh and aaah at my brilliance!

These meetings are easier each time I go. Whether it's because I'm feeling more at home with the group, or I am more accepting of my situation, or because I get goodies (!), I don't know. But it is getting easier.

Off to bed. All my love...

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter