THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


9.28.2008

The toughest ten...

I'm beat. Kept pushing today, pain and fatigue notwithstanding. I told the girls the reason I did is because I want them to say, at my memorial service, that "she didn't give up."

We ran 3+ hours today. Met at my house at 6, at my office by 7. At Bluemont Park by 7:20, where we discovered Lynne had brought two left shoes. So. She sent us on our way while she waited for Thull to bring her shoes from her house. Nice that he's such a good friend. So while she waited, Tam, Nell, Adam and I took off for the first buck 40. Ran to Shirlington and turned around, the way back being tougher than the way out as it is a slight upgrade. Reached Bluemont just before Thull arrived, right shoes in hand. Tam, Nell and I had only another hour and a half to run but Lynne decided to do her full 3:15. She had fresh legs, she was ready and she BLEW OUR DOORS OFF. It's not often Lynne will run and not check on me but today was one of those days. She had energy to burn. I directed them and then, just past the East Falls Church Metro, I turned back. At that point I'd run 2:35 and only had 40 minutes to go. I kept thinking "just quit, just quit" but for some odd reason I ran harder than I had all morning. Part of that was because the trail was mostly downhill and part of it was for the reason mentioned above. I really do want to set a good example. ANYWAY, I got back to the car and had 20 minutes--10 out and 10 back. I waffled and really considered just dying right there but somewhere inside me I found the fortitude. I dropped my stupid pack and headed back out in the direction of Lynne, Nell and Tam. Ten out. Probably the toughest ten minutes I've ever run. Ten back. Nope, not the toughest, but pretty close. The ladies caught up with me just before I got back to the car. I was so pleased I hadn't given up. It wasn't pretty, but it was a good run

Lynne continued for the rest of her run. I don't know where she gets it, but she is totally phenomenal. My hero.

Showered at the office, lunched at Rio Grande, rode home without incident.

Nell called just a few minutes ago. Told me she'd learned something from our run today. Said she'd learned determination. How cool is that.

Time for some foot therapy. I'm beat to a pulp.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter