THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


9.15.2008

Initiatives



Do not be afraid of this light. Yes, it is blindingly brilliant, but is only a glimmer compared to the brilliance (and modesty) that is MOI.

I mentioned yesterday I had crafted an adaptive device for my car key. Well, here, now, for all to see, is the object that is captivating millions, many of whom think it should be patented (clearly in a much less primitive form) so I can make billions:


(Nice manicure. I'm thinking of becoming a hand model for the withered claw set.)

(There are many captions that would work here. Please use your imagination. My contribution is that my car key is telling Louise exactly what it thinks of her.)

Truly a work of art, yes? But of course!

All emoting aside, I cannot even describe my elation when I put the key into the ignition, pulled down on the long lever end, and my car started without any cramping, spasming, or pain. Or without having to reach under the steering wheel and use my left hand. It was equally effective when I turned the engine off. I love this contraption and I am very pleased I thought of it myself and "made it work." (Yes, I also love Tim Gunn!)

And on THAT topic--Tim Gunn, I mean--let me share another idea, one I am calling Project Project Runway.

I wrote the producer of Project Runway the following (excerpted):

My 15-year-old daughter and I are avid Project Runway fans. Watching this program together on Wednesday evenings is a special mother-daughter bonding time for us. Many times we have discussed how much fun it would be to attend Fashion Week, specifically that segment that shows the Project Runway designers.

Last October I was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s Disease. Our interest in attending Fashion Week has become more time-sensitive and we would very much love to attend the 2009 show.

Taking it a step further, we concocted an idea for a Season Six challenge: create fashionable, feminine, yet functional clothing for women who are disabled. I am fortunate in that, at present, I am still able to walk but I am losing function in my right hand and arm. As I am right handed, this makes it very difficult even now to fasten my pants and skirts and I am no longer able to wear stockings.

Consequently, I now avoid pants and skirts with buttons, hooks and zippers, as well as complicated blouses and tops. Looking ahead, my caregivers will need to help me dress and the less complicated, the better. Being a vain creature, however, I still wish to look nice despite my disability! Sadly, much that is available when you remove the difficulties is frumpy and boring.

We even have a suggestion for a guest judge: Former guest judge Nancy O’Dell, whose mother had ALS.

Whether or not you think our challenge suggestion is viable, my daughter and I would still very much enjoy coming to New York for Fashion Week 2009. If you could kindly forward our request to the appropriate person, we would be sincerely grateful.

I finished it with the usual pleasantries and included links to this blog and the Walk to Defeat ALS sites. AND I copied Tim Gunn, Heidi Klum, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and Nancy O'Dell.

It would be so cool if anything came of this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got goosebumps when I read that last post.
You totally should patent that device as I am sure you are not the only one who needs it.
If I can be of any service in helping your Fashion Week come true, let me know. I think it would be great for you two, and what a thoughtful challenge! You have certainly thought through it!

You have been such an eloquent writer, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, even if it is about your trials and tribulations, you certainly make it touch my emotions. I can't tell you how many times I have laughed and cried through your writing.

Tori

Wendy Leah said...

Your key is clever, but nothing compared to your wit and humor. You will truly have Tim Gunn, et. al. in stitches when they send you and Cecilia to NY. What great ratings they will get during that segment!!

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter