THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


9.23.2008

Who can title this entry?

Ross and Mary. Unbelievable kindness, generosity, sweetness. I felt totally at home and, as I told Mary, I felt like I'd known her before. Their home is charming and a blend of both of them but is really run by the two felines. (All feline owners are nodding their heads at that last comment.)

Camden is a beautiful place; the harbor is exactly what a harbor in a New England town is supposed to be. There is no such thing as a bad picture (although there is such a thing as NO pictures since I am an idiot and didn't bring a camera). For those of you over 40 and who will remember (I HOPE you remember), Camden is where Peyton Place was filmed. The arch, the McKenzie house, the Whitehall Inn--all right there. The arch says Camden, of course, not Peyton Place, but it's the same arch. And it is visible from my cousin Greg's front yard. Yep, another cousin, who I'd never met. He lives in the house he grew up in and around the corner from Ross, his father.

I ran and ate amazing Mary-prepared breakfasts, went to the Farmers' Market, Mt. Battie, Red's Eats (famous for its lobster rolls),


camp (oh, camp!), the Whitehall Inn, cousin John's home in Waterville and another in Belgrade. And more lobster. Who goes to Maine and doesn't eat lobster?

Camp. On Washington Pond, built by my Uncle Ross in 1948. I've been lucky now to have visited it twice but I won't deny I am envious of my cousins who spent summer after summer there. It's a special place. AND finally boasts a compost toilet!

I had a moment when Ross, Mary and I were at John and Barbara's. John and Ross are my mother's contemporaries. And each of them took care of her at different times: John, when it was time to leave California; Ross, when she was recovering from her liver transplant. Recalling this and being with them made me feel a little melancholy, and like I was representing her.

It was a fabulous visit and I hope I am able to go back. Soon.

When I returned to my office, one or two of the KIDS had put sticky notes all over my computer welcoming me back. I was touched.

While I was gone I didn't get on a computer at all. When I returned I jumped back into things, visited my regular sites, all back to normal. It was weird, though, going to PLM. I look at that site several times a day. It's helpful. But going back to it after a few days was weird because I had not forgotten about Louise, but I hadn't REMEMBERED about her much. If that makes sense.

I remembered her plenty today. Remember this? Well, it did not go so well today. I was in the restroom and had to GO, but I couldn't unzip the left side zipper. I would have been able to if I could have grabbed the fabric to make it taut, but that wasn't happening. Every time I tried my right had would spasm and cramp. Realizing I was going to have to ask for help, I carefully walked back to the office and found Melinda. Bless Melinda's heart, she was confronted with a blubbery old lady who had to pee but couldn't undo her stupid pants. I was embarrassed and frustrated and angry--and heartbroken. Here is something else I used to be able to do, but can't now. I got over it; jokes about elastic waists and other wardrobe modifications abounded. But still. It's something else.

I need a lobster roll.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm very happy you were able to get up there and spend some quality time with family and friends. It seems you had a very nice trip. :)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter