THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.11.2008

Adaptation

I have a lunch meeting today. As I was falling asleep last night I thought about what I would wear today. I didn't want to wear cropped pants because they are a little too casual, so I decided to wear my micro-houndstooth pants with a black jacket. Nice and professional.

It does look very nicely put together and polished. That's because you cannot see, under the red top and the black jacket, the emergency zipper pull I just crafted. Sigh. As I was getting dressed it became apparent I had made the wrong choice. This particular pair of pants zips and closes on the left side, so right hand dexterity is pretty necessary. I guess I could have put on a different pair of pants, but I'd fallen asleep settled on this outfit and I was not going to give up. I couldn't hook the hook or button the button, so I didn't even try. The zipper is the key element here, anyway. What is difficult is zipping loose fabric; zippers like nice, taut, straight lines. I did manage to hold the top just enough and, through sheer grit and determination, I zipped the zipper. I need to mention the zipper pull is about as big as a fingernail clipping, but not quite so large. Yeah, it's microscopic. Anyway, mission accomplished and away to work I went.

As I drove I pondered. Yes, just like the sports bra pondering of Sunday, much zipper pondering occurred this morning. When I arrived, I grabbed a paper clip


and a rubber band


and threaded the rubber band into the paper clip.

The paper clip is now attached to the micro zipper. I wish I had a picture so I could post it. You'll have to use your imagination.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to test my invention. I'll provide an update when I do.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter