THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


11.30.2008

Kooza!

I don't even know where to begin, so I'll start at Bistro D'Oc. C Claire and I slogged through horrible traffic northbound and managed to get to DC only five minutes past our dinner reservation hour. As is her custom, C Claire ordered escargots. I ordered the special: homemade sausage with pommes frites. I enjoyed a kir Royale with my salad and was pleased with the looks of the meal I'd ordered. C Claire attempted to use the escargots tongs but, since I can no longer assist, abandoned them and used her fingers! All was well, the food was delicious. But then....I was trying to cut another piece of my sausage in that new, awkward way I have, when my knife slipped. My sausage flew smack onto the shoe of the man seated to my right and bounced under the seats. I gasped, he looked over, I apologized, he made nothing of it and went back to his wine. I stole a glance at his shoe and was horrified to see the sausage had left its mark!

Leaving the restaurant we headed over to the Verizon Center and the Wizards game. We got to our seats just at tip-off and saw the terrible start--it was painful to watch! Or was it? No, in fact, the pain was my stomach, reacting to dinner and being three days post-ablation. I will simply say I spent most of the first half in the ladies' room. When I finally returned to my seat I asked C Claire if it would be okay if we left; I got no argument from her there!

We had an uneventful ride over to National Harbor, where we were spending the night. The Westin is a lovely hotel and C Claire and I were very comfortable. The beds were so fluffy and soft and inviting, and the pillow was calling and my cheek felt very happy nestled in it...sleep was a luxurious experience that night!

This morning, Sunday, we woke up to gloom and rain, but it didn't matter. We were still warm and cozy and didn't have to rush anywhere. The Starbucks coffee in the room was fresh and fabulous; I read; Cecilia did some homework; we got cleaned up and packed our backpacks and called for our car at 11:41. Which they didn't get. We could see the car from our window. We were going to go down when we saw the car leave, but it never did. Heaving a bit of a frustrated sigh, I gathered us together and headed down to the lobby. The key was still in the cubby...they'd not even gotten the message to the valet parker. Realizing the view I had from our room was just a little ways up the street, C Claire and I thanked everyone and left. Much easier and quicker!

Kooza. A five-minute drive found us at the VIP parking lot and a short walk took us to the Tapis Rouge entrance. I was greeted with a mimosa, I was divested of my coat, C Claire and I had our picture taken. The rotating hors d'oeuvre stand, the "shrimp in spoon" stand, the tortellini stand--it was quite a feast! And the ambience of the whole room was wonderful.

But nothing, nothing nothing nothing, compares to that which is Kooza. Our seats were front and center and from start to finish it was a banquet for all the senses. I've never been so captivated, so entertained, so amused, so frightened! The dizzying feats by the acrobats, the beauty of the costumes and makeup, the whole afternoon was surreal and magical. I was like a small child, watching and holding my breath and gasping. Like a child, I was horribly disappointed when it was over. I'll never forget this. I hope C Claire enjoyed it even half as much as I did--I'm sure she did.

I hope I dream about Kooza tonight. I'm such a goofy little kid.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter