THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


11.03.2008

Number 26

Well. It's Monday night. What a weekend.

Lynne and I arrived in New York before 2PM Friday and were in our hotel room before 2:30. We checked out the neighborhood and wandered into a bar for a few drinks. Early to bed Friday night!

Saturday, woke up and got ready to head to the expo. Our original plans to meet Adam there at 9 didn't happen, we got to the Jacob Javits Center near 10AM instead. (Interesting note: Jacob Javits died of ALS.) We checked in and headed over to pick up our bibs; Lynne to the 33000 stall and I to the 35000 stall. Just about the same time we both discovered our bib numbers had been changed due to our new VIP status. The new and improved bibs were located and off we went to get our t-shirts and stuff-in-a-bag-that-we-almost-always-throw-away. We shopped a bit at the expo; Lynne found a nice hoodie that had been marked down to $30 so she snagged it. We were finishing up when we heard from Adam. He met us and we walked toward Penn Station to grab lunch and meet Jeff (Adam's dad). Adam's tres cool friend Aric joined us and we had a wonderful meal and sinfully delicious pumpkin pie! Jeff arrived just as we were ready to go so we parted and went on to wait for Tam. Sitting on the steps of the Post Office building was a great place to rest while we waited and I was starting to feel tired. When Tam showed up we walked back toward the Javits Center; once there I grabbed a cab back to the hotel while Lynne stayed with Tam. Lynne was miffed to see that the $30 hoodie had been marked down to $20 in the short time since she'd purchased hers!

I put my feet up for a bit, and at 3PM heard from Adam that he and Jeff were on their way over. Lynne and Tam were headed back, and Tom and Cathy were coming over, too! I'd arranged with the reporter from NYU to meet us at 4, so the timing was perfect. We all walked over to the bar across the street and met Nuzhat (NYU), who found us to be a jovial and entertaining bunch. It was a hoot having my friends around. At one point during the interview, however, I caught
sight of Adam crying, and then noticed Cathy was wiping her eyes, too.

Sometimes I forget that my friends are affected by this. It breaks my heart that it causes them pain.

Sigh. So. Interview over, Lynne and I headed over to go to Mass. We concluded that the homily was probably very lovely, if we'd been able to understand the priest who had an unbelievably thick and heavy maybe-French accent. Hard to tell. Next to a nearby Uno's for a pasta dinner, then an early bedtime. Tam was staying with us and got to bunk with Lynne. It seems that, while Lynne and I travel well together, it's because we are oblivious to each other's idiosyncracies. Tam said she didn't sleep well because a) Lynne made whistley noises in her sleep, b) I snored, c) it was cold (we like a cold room), and d) she kept losing the covers. It seems Lynne would push off the covers and Tam was left with just a little corner. I'm still laughing about Tam's description of her night from hell!

We got dressed, packed our gear, grabbed a cab, and headed to the VIP bus. Found it, boarded, headed to Staten Island and the VIP tent. We wondered, since Adam and Jeff had managed to snag VIP accommodations courtesy of the Food Emporium Sweepstakes, if their tent would be anywhere near ours. Anyway, we arrived and were herded into the very nice and warm tent, complete with chairs and breakfast and coffee. We got comfortable, had breakfast, and were enjoying being warm! At the two NYC marathons I'd run before, the temperature had been moderate enough a warm tent wasn't necessary. This day, however, we were so lucky to have this luxury! I had to go out to the porta-johns a couple times and it was COLD and I saw people huddled against trees and each other. Not long after we'd finished eating we saw another herd of people coming into the tent--including Adam and Jeff! What a happy coincidence!

The "007" group, my group, was called. We said goodbye to Adam and Jeff, grabbed our bag, and followed our team leader. He and his crew used raised hands to keep the group together (a method we employed on the course). We deposited our bag and were led to the race start--Wave 1, with the professional men and other elite athletes. What a riot!

Lynne and Tam had decided they were going to stay with me, despite my objections. Since I clearly am not the boss of either of them, I relented. The gun went off and there was the Verrazano Narrows bridge, in all its windy uphilliness, welcoming us. I had planned on walking this first mile and did, but sent Lynne and Tam on their way. It was too cold for them to walk and, since I was at the back of the first wave, I knew they'd be able to find me after I crested the hill. It was the oddest sensation being on that bridge, virtually all by myself. The previous two marathons I'd run with the crowds. This was peaceful, despite the wind and the cold. Don't get me wrong, I was grateful for the weather--this was my kind of day!

Caught up with Lynne and Tam and away we went. They'd get ahead of me but would keep me in sight and the raised hand signal worked like a charm, most of the time! I ran steady, conservatively, watched my step when there were grates and things. I walked the hills and when I felt tired. I spoke very little to keep my wind in check. When I needed water, my "muscles" were there. They opened my Gu. I had decided that, since they had decided to run this with me, I might as well use them. In hindsight, it really was the best decision. I never would have been able to reach around for my water bottle and opening Gu is sketchy. Just around mile 7 the NBC vehicle arrived and I was interviewed by David Willey. The marathon site has a link to the video--it's about 5 hours long and I'm at the 4 hour point and there is no way to efficiently fast-forward. I think it went well, Lynne and Tam were on camera, and I got to show my shirt.

At mile 11 we found Cathy and Tom, who were with Nuzhat. Some pictures were taken, well wishes given, and away we went. I was pretty tired but still doing okay and the weather was a gift! We crossed the half at about 2:45 (according to the clock). Oh, I should mention. This was the first marathon I'd ever run where I didn't turn on my chron or record my splits. I ran the walk clock, nothing else. It didn't matter.

Mile after mile clicked by and before I knew it we were at 21, 22, then 23. I don't remember exactly where we were but Tam and Lynne lost me. I'd seen one of them (I honestly don't remember now who) and had raised my hand. They nodded like they'd seen me. I was near the left side of the course and was looking right at Tam, who was looking back at Lynne. They were discussing who had seen me and where was I. I was waving my arms and calling to them but they were oblivious! They had no clue I'd run right up to them, crazy girls!

I should also mention that twice, three times if you count Tam's Gu-pack slide, women fell on the course near me. I told my "muscles" that it was Louise, aiming at me but missing. I was so worried about falling and I am so relieved I didn't.

So, 23. 24. 25. There were hills, walk breaks, fatigue breaks. When there were only 200 yards to go there was a hill. Walked it. With 100 yards to go and the finish line within spitting distance, I ran. I crossed my final finish line at 5:45. I broke into tears and sobbed deep sobs, but then stood up straight, turned around, and hugged Lynne and Tam. Without them I couldn't have done this, without them I would not be the runner I am, or was.

I won't bore you with the hell that was the finish route except to say that any elation was completely sucked out of us by the time we made it out. But we finally did, got to the hotel, where Cathy, Tom, Kendall, Dan and Maureen, and Nuzhat were waiting. More pictures, more interview, then it was up to the room to decompress. We had such fun telling all the stories, and I looked around and felt so lucky to have this in my life. After a time Dan and Maureen left, Cathy, Tom and Tam left, Adam arrived and the four of us went to dinner. Aric met us. Adam ordered Veuve Clicquot--such a treat! The food was good, the service was lacking, but it was nice. Goodbye to Adam and Aric then back to the room. This time poor Kendall had to bunk with me. She confirmed the awful truth, I am a snorer. Yuck. The poor thing, I hope it wasn't too terrible.

We had planned on getting up at 7 but were up at 5, breakfast by 6, and were out the door, in a cab, headed to Brooklyn to get Kendall's car. We left Brooklyn 830ish and had pretty decent traffic the whole way. I keep saying poor Kendall, but the dear girl was carting home two old ladies who were stiff and sore and prone to snoring and whistley noises and she was stuck with us! It was such a generous gesture on her part to drive us home, I can't begin to thank her adequately.

Now. Home. Time for meds and bed. Going to do my duty tomorrow and go vote, and will hope that Virginia votes blue for the first time in forever.

Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter