THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


11.16.2008

Taking Note

I was re-reading an earlier post where I described the condition of my right hand. It is from February. Last February my right pinky had seceded and the ring finger was following.

Today, nine months later, all the fingers stand separate. There's no muscle at all in my thumb, which curls in even when I knead and massage it. For that matter, all my right hand fingers curl, even when massaged. The lower knuckle of my pinky is sensitive and sore and has been for about a month. I cannot touch my right thumb to my pinky.

I am writing this because it's important to note what has happened in nine months' time.

I mentioned in a recent post that my left hand is beginning to undergo changes; the pinky and, to an extent, the ring finger are separating. I still have muscle in my thumb but I see the atrophy which is beginning between the thumb and forefinger. I can still touch my thumb to my pinky.

So. It's November now. Nine months from now it will be August. I wonder if my left hand will mimic the progression of the right. And I wonder where the right will be then.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter