THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


11.24.2008

Monday, Monday, so good to me

I'm sitting here, trying to decide on a catchy opening sentence. My hands are resting on the keyboard. Idiot things keep twitching.

That's not quite the opening I'd planned, but it'll do. Twitchy hands are so interesting.

It was an eventful day. I woke up at 5 and checked email, met Lynne at 7 for breakfast. She went on her way and I stayed, wired and working at Panera, until I left for my pre-op. I met with Dr Walker (no, I didn't scare him this time with my hysteria); had my blood drawn; pre-registered for Wednesday; and had an EKG. I guess my heart was fine...I haven't heard any discouraging words. As always, I am struck by the absurdity of being so friggin' healthy, except for Louise. The lab technician commented on my nice dark iron-rich blood.

While I was waiting for all these different appointments, I got an email from FLS Reporter Cathy Dyson. She was contacted by Yaron Deskalo, a producer for ESPN's E:60 show. He'd read her article and wrote, "I think her story about defying the odds and pushing to the end is important for our viewers to hear." Being the camera whore I am, and--more seriously--having an opportunity to increase ALS awareness, I contacted him. He called me as I was driving home, listened to all my drivel, and said he was going to try to sell it to the ESPN powers that be. I don't know what will come of it, but it'd be so cool if it came to pass.

I've said there is a responsibility that goes along with Louise, and that is to show a good face, a courageous face, a determined face. Whether I'm talking to a reporter, or talking to my children, or talking to myself (yeah, sometimes I do), I need to show that the disease may take my muscles, may rob me of my mobility, may deny me the ability to speak or swallow or even breathe, but it will not take away me. I am stronger than Louise in that regard.

ANYWAY, tomorrow is a regular work day and then The Procedure and Thanksgiving. I know I'll be giving thanks for so much--too much to list here. But you know me, and you know I am grateful for slow progression and good health, but mostly you. I don't know how I'd make it without you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer "camera whore"...just sounds better.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. I always do.

tori

Deborah said...

Point taken, edit made, love sent.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter