THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


11.15.2008

Richmond Recap

Today was a very memorable day. It was Becky's first half marathon, it was Melanie's first half marathon, it was John Wallace's first marathon, and it was Lynne's 30th marathon. Tam also did the full; Kendall, Keri and Meghan also ran the half, oh! it was a first for Meghan, too. Just so I don't leave anyone out, bright and shiny Thull was there (and was soundly beaten by his daughter Jennifer).

Becky had predicted she'd do a 2:10. Her longest training run was last weekend--she did 10 miles. Melanie's longest distance was 5! They started together and stayed together the entire race. Not talking much, but strengthened by the presence of the other. They finished together with a chip time of 2:07!!!!!!! I am so pleased for them both and I am SO PROUD of my daughter.

Kendall did a better time than at the National Half, despite the foul temperature. I hope she is aware of how strong a runner she is, and how much potential she has.

John Wallace did so well for his first marathon! He's sore now, and will be for a few days, but he earned it. He worked hard and I am totally impressed with him.

So. Lynne's 30th marathon. She said it was tough on her for at least ten reasons, and we came up with two more during the post-race analysis. She and Tam define strength and persistence. It was much warmer than is typical for Richmond and they were still recovering from the "marathon+" they'd run two weeks ago. Lynne actually called me at mile 22. She borrowed someone's phone, said she had to hear my voice. This broke my heart in several million places. I wished I'd had the means to fly to her side, pull her through this tough spot, get her back on track.

Post-race she pointed out this is the first race I haven't at least been somewhere on the course--more pieces of broken heart. FORTUNATELY bright and shiny Thull was there so I said she'd have to run with him going forward. Inside, though, my heart was still breaking. It broke some more in the car on the way home when she said she hated ALS.

I hate ALS, too. I hate it so much.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter